Pages

Friday, March 8, 2019





CABO AND THE GREAT WHALES OF MEXICO






I don’t know why, but I always feel at home in Mexico.  This time, flying all the way across the US to arrive in Cabo San Lucas, I almost felt like I was coming home.  I hadn’t been to Cabo in several years and the sight that awaited me was astounding.
When I had been there about 10 years ago, there was a small town with beach bars and fishing boats pulled into docks waiting for customers, who back then were few and far between.  There was little beyond that and one had to take a boat out to the giant arch that the area is known for.
Today’s Cabo is a huge bustling city with condos everywhere and the rich “whales” from “el Otro Lado (the other side of the border) are bait for locals.  Stores selling designer clothes, hotels almost on top of the arch and reaching way beyond it and bars everywhere, keep things hopping…. both day and night.  The place has become a mecca of sorts for  Californiacs who drop in for the weekend to drop out at local spots that are as famous as those in Hollywood.
So…did I say I felt at home?  In Mexico maybe, but not this place that has become an extension of the United States.  That said…. a short drive north took me back to the Mexico I know…. little towns with quaint squares…churches at one end and police station at the other.  Here too are the wilds…. wild beaches, wild scenery and miles and miles of desert. I hiked 40 ft sand dunes, took little pangas out into the Sea of Cortez, saw Humpbacks and Grey whales giving birth and coming home to their breeding grounds and the locals so willing to share their way of life.
This is the Mexico I know so well and where I will come back to in the future.
Pam Walker is a Virtuoso Travel Advisor and can be reached at pam@walkeradventures.com

No comments: